- Verily I say unto you, it is forbidden to mass query to Agents. Thou shalt not put many names and email addresses in the address line nor in the Carbon Copy nor in the Blind Carbon Copy. For each agent has a name.
- And thou shalt personalize thy query to each agent with a name and each has a name.
- Thou shalt put thy email address and thy street address and thy phone number on the query or thy children and thy children’s children shall rise up and call thee Stupid for missing an opportunity.
- Thou shalt not send a query for an unedited manuscript even in the enthusiasm following Nano for thy name shall be Mud and thy query rejected verily.
- Thou shalt respect the silence of Agents who have posted no response means no on their websites on pain of losing the opportunity to query to them forever and of taking the privilege from thy brothers.
- Thou shalt go onto the internet to research agents and to follow their guidelines lest thy query be lost to the evil of spam folders.
- Thou shalt keep thy query letter to one page for Agents have eyes and eyes can be broken.
- Thou shalt only send a query letter to an agent who represents thy genre which has a name.
- Thou shalt not hassle an agent about thy query on twitter or facebook or any social networking sites for they are there to be social. They are people and they have a name.
- And on the seventh day if a rejection shall come, thou shalt rejoice for thy skin is thicker with each rejection and thou shalt need a thick skin when you have a name, for lo and verily there are reviewers.
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
The Ten Commandments of Query Letters